Coronado History – January 31, 1939
The U.S. Army vacated North Island, leaving the U.S. Navy as the permanent tenants. For 26 years, the U.S. Army operated on the western half of North Island, known as Rockwell Field. In contrast, the Navy operated on the eastern half of North Island which was U.S. Naval Air Station. The U.S. Army vacated Rockwell Field for good on January 31, 1939 after years of wrangling with the U.S. Navy for control. Ultimately, the decision was made by President Franklin D. Roosevelt who issued the executive order to hand over all of North Island to the Navy.