On this day in Coronado History – December 19, 1957

December 19, 2017

On This Day In History – December 19, 1957, a ribbon cutting ceremony on the first tee of the new Coronado Golf Course occurred at noon.

Coronado had been without an 18-hole golf course since WWII when the Coronado Country Club was closed down.  By the mid-50’s  Coronado’s Country Club area was developed into residential homes.

The golf course was constructed at a cost of $100,000 with 90% fill dredged from Glorietta Bay. Coronado resident and retired golf architect, Jack Daray, came out of retirement to design the course.  Coronado Mayor Coleman Gray cut the ribbon and the resident Pro, Don Collett, hit the first drive down the first fairway. An exhibition match followed played by Collett, Gene Littler, Billy Casper and Paul Runyan.

This picture was taken in 1960 announcing the Hotel del Coronado Pro-Am Tournament.  Gene Littler won the tournament and Billy Casper was the runner-up.  John Alessio, owner of the Hotel del Coronado and tournament sponsor, presented checks to the two winners.

On this day in Coronado History - December 19, 1957

Photo Credit: Leslie Crawford Collection

 

Previous post:

Next post: